Employee morale is described as the overall outlook, attitude, satisfaction, and confidence that an employee feels at work. It is a direct reflection of your company’s culture, how well the teams interact or communicate, and how effective are your team leads and managers. When employees are positive about their work environment and believe that they can meet their most important career and vocational needs, employee morale is positive or high. High morale means that employees feel the company cares for them and their welfare. Happy employees bring their best selves to work.
Here are 6 ways you can boost your team’s morale and build a positive work culture
1. Engage with your team Make effort to connect with each of your individual one-on-one. Spend time getting involved. Roll your sleeves up. Take time to understand what is going on behind the scenes. Listen. Cultivate empathy.
2. Encourage feedback Create forums for the exchange of ideas. Practice open and honest two-way communication. Listen to them without judgment. Feedback opens the way to improvements, growth, and progress. Be ready for change.
3. Be unbiased Give everyone the same respect and time. Avoid bias or favoritism.
4. Facilitate employees’ empowerment Give them tools to grow and thrive. Take time to understand what can help them to perform better.
5. Reward and recognize Be generous with your praise. Recognize the effort of your employees. Honor and reward them for work well done, and for their contributions. Demonstrate your appreciation with perks and/or thank you/appreciation certificates.
6. Develop your team Help your people to grow and improve – both personally and professionally. Develop each team member’s development roadmap. Provide training and new learning opportunities.
When your people feel valued and supported, they feel encouraged and confident in what they do. Their productivity and performance improve, directly impacting the company’s performance.
Source: * Bali Bigham – 6 Simple Ways to Improve Employee Morale **Brigette Hyacinth – a bestselling Author, and an International Keynote Speaker on Leadership, Management, HR, Digital Transformation, and Artificial Intelligence. She has been ranked: Top 100 HR Influencers (Leadership & Development) of 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021.