Digital transformation is the #1 executive priority for every organization. It means learning to use all your information effectively. Standardizing on an advanced database can help accelerate your digital initiatives.
Oracle Database 19c offers the productivity, manageability, and security benefits of a converged database and the longest term of support, giving you the most stable platform for your applications. Coming from the family of products of the Oracle Database 12c, it is a ‘long term support’ release with 4 years of premium support and 3 years of extended support, bringing –
Fastest Innovation – Best and Converged OLTP, DW, ML, Graph, IoT, JSON, etc.
Safest – Most Scalable, Available, Secure (RAC, ADG, In-Mem, MT)
Let’s see here in detail, what advances Oracle 19c brings:
Performance: It enhances the innovations in the areas of SQL query, data optimizations, performance, and tuning diagnostics. Oracle Exadata features such as Smart Scans, Columnar Flash Cache, and Storage Indexes are also included.
- Automatic Indexes: Automatic Indexing which consistently assesses the executing SQL and the fundamental tables to figure out which lists to make and which ones to eliminate. It is also adaptive to the data model and path changes.
- Database In-Memory: The In-Memory feature eliminates the use of analytic reporting indexes, and it speeds up conducting analytic queries and improves performance. It allows you to efficiently use the standby database by separating the operational and analytical users and providing near real-time data.
- Real-time statistics collection: Real-time statistical data can now be collected as operations, delete data, update, and insert. Hence, the use of both statistics by analysts and maintenance of the statistical database can be done simultaneously.
- Quarantine SQL statements: Performance degradation due to the runaway SQL statements that have excessive consumption of the processor as well as the I/O can now be automatically quarantined.
High Availability: To address the regular causes of planned and unplanned downtime for both on-premises and in-Cloud organizations a set of databases with the best features and practice blueprints is made available.
- Unplanned downtime: Features like Real Application Clusters (RAC), Automatic Storage Management (ASM), Recovery Manager (RMAN), Oracle Secure Backup (OSB), Flashback, Active Data Guard (ADG) help in preventing and addressing unwanted and unplanned downtime.
- Planned downtime: Planned downtime for various hardware and software upgrades can be reduced via Hardware Maintenance and Migration Operations, Online Patching, Rolling Database Upgrades, Online Redefinition, and edition-based Redefinition features on 19c.
- Enhancing Database availability: New maximum availability features include: Data Guard Far Sync, Global Data Services, Auto Propagation of No logged Data, Application Continuity, Zero-Downtime Oracle Grid Infrastructure Patching.
- Zero data loss recovery appliance: A data protection solution, which is integrated with RMAN, which eliminates data loss exposure and reduces the overheads for data protection on servers.
Security: 19c has a multi-layer, defense-in-depth approach which allows the customers to access the security tools which can control and block the access of unauthorized access, monitor users and user-and-application-level data access controls. It follows the multi-model approach which provides support for relational as well as non-relational data. This allows customers to take advantage of the security capabilities of the Oracle database. It also includes:
- Transparent Data Encryption: Entire tablebase, as well as individual sensitive columns, can be encrypted. 19c provides the feature of encrypting the whole dictionary which protects sensitive metadata.
- Dynamic Data Masking: Redaction of database can be done using Oracle Data Redaction which enforces control inside the database. It hides sensitive data’s true values such as the last few digits of a debit card.
- Privilege Analysis: All the rights and roles of various stakeholders can be tracked and with the help of privilege analysis records unnecessary privileges can be removed to maintain the integrity of the database.
- Database Vault: Various access models such as separation-of-duties and trusted-path can help in reducing the risk of compromising the database. The Database Vault Operational Control can simplify the security process for multi-tenant databases by securing pluggable databases.
- Unified Audit: 19c offers a content-aware and policy-based auditing structure with roles for managing various policies. The database firewall provides a line of defense with preventive as well as detective controls to stop unauthorized access to the database.
- Active Directory Integration: Unlike 18c which required Oracle Directory Services 19c directly connects to Microsoft Active Directory. It reduces the complexities in the management of authentication.
Data Warehousing and Big Data: 19C provides industry-leading performance in both transactional and analytics work on-premises as well as on the cloud. It has various measurement tools for performance and predictive analysis such as analytic views, query approximations, and in-memory property graph analytics. It also includes:
- Oracle big data platform: The Bid data platform of Oracle provides the opportunity to have integrated access to the data that is stored in the Oracle Database. It eliminates the need to move large volumes of data between various data stores.
- Hybrid partitioned tables: Large tables of data can slow the performance of the operations, 19c breaks these tables into smaller parts which makes them easier to manage, and focus can be laid only on the data that is required now. This capability is extremely helpful in on-premises standard file systems or HDFS.
- Fast SQL access for Relational, Hadoop & NoSQL: The data-virtualization component capability helps in analyzing data across platforms such as Hadoop, NoSQL, etc using the existing resources and tools. The central meta-data also helps in security features such as data redaction and access controls across all the platforms.
- Analytics and Data science capabilities: In-database analytics and APIs such as Analytic Views, Approximate Queries, Machine Learning and Advanced Analytics, Polymorphic Table Functions, Pattern Matching, Machine Learning, Property Graph, Spatial, etc.
- Autonomous data warehouse: It is an automated service that can offer enterprise performance, security, and reliable performance from the data warehouses. It also offers analytic freedom, interface choices, and analytic and data management services.
Application development: Oracle Database 19c not just offers clients the latest information base, it additionally offers coordinated information and data solutions. This enables to rapidly build applications that can help the customer take advantage of reliability, performance, security, and other advantages of Oracle Database 19c. It supports development and scripting languages such as SQL and PL/SQL, Oracle Call Interface, Programming languages including Java, C, and C++.
Thus, Oracle Database 19c brings a whole new experience to the table, helping clients on their journey to the cloud.